Electric skateboards can be a fun and safe purchase for families with children. They are operated by a battery yet are still safe enough for continued use without any danger of combustion. They can provide hours of fun outdoor activity for any youth.
Electric skateboards are a wise investment for any family. In general, they are lightweight yet durable. They provide enough speed to satisfy adventurous kids and can even be used for transportation. At the same time, they don’t go too fast, reducing the chance of accidents and injuries.
Best Electric Skateboard for Kids – Buying Guide
Electric skateboards are perfect for older children or teenagers, and they make great gifts. Though some models are quite similar, there are plenty that vary greatly from one another. These are some of the features that shoppers should look for when choosing an electric skateboard for their kid:
- Speed: Though most models provide decent enough speed, some are capable of higher speeds, and others are restricted to lower speeds. An expensive model that restricts the speed could be quite disappointing.
- Safety: Most models include a remote that allows the rider to control their speed easily. The remote can be also be used for braking, which reduces the chance of accidents and injuries.
- Battery Life: This is very important. It affects how far a skateboard can travel on a single charge. Having to bring the skateboard back home to charge it after only a short distance can be very disappointing and frustrating. You also want to make sure the battery will last for a long time before it needs to be replaced.
- Weight: Though most models claim to be lightweight, you should consider your child’s capabilities. If the battery dies, will your child be able to carry it back home? Also, consider the weight limits of the board. Some boards may not be able to support heavier individuals. Exceeding the recommended weight limit will affect the performance and life of the motor and battery.
How I Selected the Top 5 Electric Skateboards for Kids
I chose the following products as the best electric skateboards for kids based on speed, safety, battery life, weight capabilities, and customer support. The pros and cons of each skateboard were considered. The most important qualities to me were a decent but safe speed, a simple-to-use and effective remote, a long-lasting battery, the ability to support many weight classes, and being lightweight enough to carry. Here are my top five picks for best electric skateboard for kids.
The Yuneec E-GO2 Electric Longboard is an excellent choice for lighter adolescents who live in an area without too many steep downhills. However, they will need to be able to carry 20 pounds, since it is a heavier board.
- The Yuneec Electric Longboard has no problem making it up most hills.
- An 18-mile range is advertised, which is the farthest distance on this list.
- The wheels are solid and handle impacts well.
- The skateboard has great handling and steering, though it doesn’t make sharp turns.
- The board has a top speed of 12.5 miles per hour, making it the fastest board on this list.
- The remote has several useful features, such as variable speeds and riding modes.
- Though not the most heavy-duty electric skateboard on this list, it can still handle more weight than lighter boards.
- The Yuneec Electric Longboard occasionally loses its Bluetooth connection, though it quickly regains the connection.
- Steep downhills present a problem. The brakes cannot keep up while supporting the rider’s weight.
- Though Yuneec advertises a range of 18 miles, this is not always the case. In some instances, the board can only achieve 4-5 miles before the battery begins to die.
- The board can handle riders up to 220 pounds, but individuals past the weight threshold will find difficulty.
- The Yuneec Electric Longboard weighs 21 pounds, making it a bit too heavy for most children to carry.
The Yuneec E-GO2 Electric Longboard includes a board made of maple wood, a Bluetooth remote, a lithium-ion battery, and a charger. It can reach speeds of up to 12.5 miles per hour. The remote includes features such as variable speed control, riding modes, and a positive braking system. The battery provides a range of 18 miles on a single charge. The skateboard can support up to 220 pounds and weighs 21 pounds.
The Yuneec Electric Longboard features a kicktail shape, which provides better control and steering. It’s made of a sturdy maple composite.
The Bluetooth remote utilizes variable speed control up to 12.5 miles per hour. There are two riding modes and a positive braking system. It indicates battery power level with a blinking green light. When at full power, the light blinks four times. The number of blinks decreases with the battery power. Low power is indicated by a single blink.
The skateboard can handle riders up to 220 pounds, allowing moderately heavy individuals to ride without worry.
iPhone users can connect the board to the Yuneec app and view statistics such as battery power level. An Android app is also in the works.
The Acton Blink Lite V2 Electric Skateboard is great for children and teenagers who are on the lighter side. It does better on level, even pavement and may not fare as well in locales with lots of hills or breaks in the pavement. It’s best for short trips since it can only go five miles on a charge.
- The battery fully charges within two hours.
- An LED lighting strip underneath the skateboard increases visibility and safety.
- The Bluetooth remote is simple to use and still provides complete control of the board.
- The single hub motor improves the overall reliability of the skateboard.
- The Blink Lite has a top speed of 10 miles per hour. While this is not the fastest speed on this list, it still allows for a fun ride.
- The skateboard weighs a little over seven pounds, making it easy to carry around.
- The skateboard has great handling overall.
- The battery only has a range of five miles, which is a shorter distance than every other skateboard on this list.
- The Blink Lite is only meant for lighter riders, with a weight cap of 130 pounds.
- The skateboard has difficulty with all slopes.
- The connection between the remote and the motor sometimes becomes touchy, to the point of being problematic.
- The board can be stiff and not very flexible. This can lead to losing sensation in the feet when riding on uneven ground, such as bumpy roads.
ACTON BLINK Lite V2 | Summer Sale | World's Lightest Electric Skateboard for Youth | With LED Lights | Up To 5 Mile Range | 10 MPH Top Speed | Bluetooth Remote Control Included
- PERFECT FOR KIDS & TEENS UP TO 130 LBS - Different from our high-performance skateboards, the BLINK Lite is a fun, playful electric skateboard that is perfect for riding around town and school, and our lithium-ion batteries will provide young riders UP TO 5 MILES on a single charge.
- 6 MONTH LIMITED WARRANTY. In the unlikely event of defect, ACTON warrants that this product will be free of manufacturing and/or workmanship defects for a period of 6 months.
- BUILT-IN SAFETY LIGHTS. Our built-in LED lights make our riders highly visible to traffic, pedestrians, and even at night! Safety is our top priority, and the Acton Blink Lite has got you covered!
- PORTABLE AND LIGHT. Weighing in at only 7.7 pounds, our lightweight electric skateboards are easy to pack up and carry around at school, work, and home. Perfect for the busy student!
- BLUETOOTH REMOTE CONTROL. Turn your board on or off with the flick of a switch, then choose Forward or Reverse and simply press the lever to begin cruising to your destination!
The Blink Lite V2 Electric Skateboard from Acton is an advanced and lightweight electric skateboard that includes a 30-inch-long board, a lithium-ion battery, a charger, built-in LED safety lights, a Bluetooth remote, and a single hub motor. It can reach speeds of up to 10 miles per hour. The remote is basic and easy to use. The battery allows for a range of five miles on a single charge. The simple remote, single hub motor, and LED lighting all combine to increase safety. The skateboard can support riders up to 130 pounds, and the board itself weighs 7.7 pounds.
The lithium-ion battery travels up to five miles, the shortest distance on this list. However, it recharges quickly in just two hours.
Built-in LED lights on the board make riders visible to drivers and increase visibility in areas that are not well-lit. They are integrated via LED light strips underneath the skateboard deck.
Though not the lightest skateboard on this list, it is still light enough for anyone to carry.
The Bluetooth remote makes it easy to operate the Blink Lite. A switch turns it on and off and a lever starts it up in either forward or reverse. A button controls speed and braking during operation.
The single hub motor reduces tension on the wheels and makes every ride smooth and reliable. It also makes the board easier to maintain.
The Swagboard is a great skateboard for families with older children and teenagers on the lighter side who are interested in functionality and durability and want the board to last for several hours.
- The SwagBoard NG-1 V2 Electric Longboard can reach an impressive speed of 11 miles per hour.
- The remote is easy to carry and use. Riders can monitor speed and battery status on the LCD display. The remote can be charged whenever, wherever.
- The battery allows for a range of 10 miles before it needs to be recharged. The Sentryshield technology provides safety and energy efficiency.
- The skateboard is extremely lightweight and easy to carry.
- The SwagBoard achieves a decent speed, but it’s not quite as fast as other boards (including two on this list). There are also other electric skateboards that achieve farther distances on a single charge.
- The battery takes three hours to charge, and although it yields a respectable distance from that, it’s not exactly the high watermark in terms of charging time.
- The skateboard can only carry lighter riders up to 176 pounds.
SWAGTRON SwagBoard NG-1 Youth Electric Longboard
- 24V LI-ON FE BATTERY - Allows the boosted board to go up to 11 MPH and up to 10 miles on a single charge
- WIRELESS LED REMOTE - Controls speed, braking, and cruise control and shows speed and battery status
- DURABLE POLYURETHANE WHEELS - Durable, shock-absorbing wheels provide an unbelievably smooth riding experience
- MAPLE WOOD DECK & PREMIUM GRIP TAPE - Allows riders to have more traction while riding this motorized skateboard
- UL 2272 CERTIFIED - The SwagBoard meets all safety requirements and is equipped with SentryShield battery technology
The SwagBoard NG-1 V2 Electric Longboard from Swagtron is an upgraded version of the SwagBoard. It includes an advanced, durable board made of maple wood, a wireless LED remote, a 24-volt lithium-ion battery, and a charger. It can reach speeds of up to 11 miles per hour. The remote allows for control of speed, braking, and cruise control. The battery can achieve a range of 10 miles on a single charge and recharges in three hours.
Safety is improved through the easy to use remote and the battery’s Sentryshield technology, which places safeguards on the battery. The skateboard can support riders of up to 176 pounds. At less than ten pounds, it can be carried relatively easily when not in use, especially with the two ergonomic grips that are included.
The SwagBoard’s 7-ply maple deck is extra-large, making it comfortable for most builds up to 176 pounds. It is both solid and flexible, which increases comfort and makes the ride smooth. Premium grip tape increases traction.
The skateboard has a top speed of 11 miles per hour. This is fast enough to satisfy the needs of any thrill-seeker, increase the distance obtained on a single charge, and still provide a safe ride.
The wireless LED remote features an LCD display that shows the skateboard’s speed and the status of the battery. Speed, braking, and cruise control are controlled with an easy-to-use slider. The remote is rechargeable and can even be charged on the go with a micro USB port. A wrist strap makes the remote easy to carry.
The Sentryshield technology included with the board provides safeguards for the powerful battery, offering both safety and energy efficiency. This technology is multi-layered and surpasses all safety requirements. Its energy efficiency also boosts battery life.
The Blitzart Mini Flash Electric Skateboard is an excellent choice for children and teenagers of any shape or size. Its heavy-duty weight cap means that even heavier individuals can enjoy riding it. It’s great for short trips on relatively level pavement but may not accommodate longer trips or travel on uneven, cracked ground.
- The Blitzart Mini Flash Electric Skateboard has a top speed of 12 miles per hour, making it one of the fastest boards on this list.
- The remote is easy to hold, use, and carry. There are several functions available, including two speed modes, reverse, and a hold function.
- The battery travels up to eight miles on a single charge, which is in the middle of this list’s range. It’s not the farthest distance out there, but it’s not the shortest either.
- The battery charges quickly.
- The hub motor lends reliability and noise reduction to the board.
- The skateboard can support up to 250 pounds, making it one of the most heavy-duty options on this list.
- At nine pounds, it’s still light enough for most teenagers to carry.
- The Mini Flash skateboard features regenerative braking. This means that the battery will charge during braking, though it will be subtle, so riders may not notice.
- The skateboard features excellent turning and braking.
- The distance that the Mini Flash can travel on a single charge is a bit shorter than other boards.
- The Mini Flash is heavier than most of the other boards on this list. Children may have difficulty carrying it.
- This skateboard has some difficulty going uphill. It can climb hills, but the battery will lose power quickly with the effort.
- Turning and braking are sharp, so controls should be used gently.
- Cracks and road imperfections present a problem. Too many impacts over time can eventually cause the motor to operate less efficiently, or even stop operating completely.
Sale Blitzart Mini Flash 28" Electric Skateboard Electronic Hub-Motor 2.8" Wheel E-Skateboard (RED)
- RANGE AND SPEED - With a max speed of up to 12 MPH and a range of up to 8 miles.
- ERGONOMIC WIRELESS REMOTE - Easy to hold wireless remote that controls acceleration and deceleration with reverse capability. Two speed modes for beginners and advanced riders. Hold function for getting on and off the board. Remote is rechargeble and comes with wrist strap.
- 5 Layers of MAPLE WOOD + 2 Layers of BAMBOO DECK & PREMIUM GRIP TAPE - The deck consists of 5-ply maple wood sandwiched between two layers of bamboo on the top and bottom of the board giving it more flexibility and sturdiness. The deck is outfitted with grip tape to keep the rider's feet firmly in place and stay on the board. Supports up a max weight of 250 lbs.
- 250W Brushless Hub-Motor: Hub Motor vs Belt Drive Motor - Hub motors are more reliable and less problem-prone hence we only use hub motors. Our hub motors also give the board an aesthetically pleasing appearance to the overall design. Hub-motors are also very quite and can be kicked like a regular board with or without battery.
- SHIPS FULLY ASSEMBLED - Save yourself the time and hassle of assembly so you can ride your board instantly out of the box. Why spend hours putting it together, and worrying if you did it right, when you can just ride it right away? With a weight of only 9 pounds, and supporting up to thirty times its own weight, it is easy to maneuver as well. It is 28" long by 9" wide by 5" high.
The Blitzart Mini Flash Electric Skateboard is an advanced electric skateboard that includes a flexible, yet sturdy board made of maple and bamboo, a wireless remote, a 250-watt brushless hub motor, a 24-volt lithium ion battery, and a charger. It can reach speeds of up to 12 miles per hour. The remote features two speed modes, reverse capabilities, and a hold function. The battery can achieve a range of eight miles on a single charge and fully recharges within two hours. The skateboard can support riders up to 250 pounds and weighs nine pounds.
The Blitzart Mini Flash Electric Skateboard is composed of five layers of maple wood sandwiched between two layers of bamboo wood. Premium grip tape increases traction and safety.
The wireless remote is easy to hold when on the go, which is aided by a convenient wrist strap. Two speed modes are offered, allowing beginners and experts alike to enjoy the ride. The remote can kick the board into reverse as well. A hold function is offered, allowing riders to safely hop on and off the board. The remote is rechargeable.
The battery travels up to eight miles on a single charge, which is in the middle of this list’s range. It quickly charges within two hours, so you don’t have to wait too long to use the skateboard.
Blitzart only uses hub motors, seeing them as more reliable and less problematic than belt drive motors. This makes the board reliable overall and relatively quiet.
The Mini Flash Electric Skateboard features regenerative braking and excellent handling.
The Anfan Electric Skateboard is perfect for any kind of rider, regardless of their body shape or size. It’s best for short trips, since it can only travel six miles on a charge and may not recharge fully if the battery dies. It’s also better for smooth, even sidewalks: Rough pavement will give it problems and it doesn’t go fast enough to accommodate roads. Children and teens who live in areas with smooth sidewalks and only need it for short trips during the day will love this sturdy, durable electric skateboard.
- The Anfan Electric Skateboard’s 7-ply maple wood deck and polyurethane wheels make the board durable and sturdy.
- The remote has a wide range and offers complete control of the skateboard’s movements, making the ride smoother.
- The battery charges quickly, within two hours.
- The weight cap of 264 pounds means that anyone can ride this skateboard without worrying about issues arising. This is the most heavy-duty electric skateboard on this list.
- The skateboard is lightweight, weighing only seven pounds. It’s light enough for anyone to carry when they’re not riding it.
- The Anfan Electric Skateboard can only reach nine miles per hour, making it the slowest electric skateboard on this list.
- The battery only allows the skateboard to travel up to six miles on a single charge. This is one of the shortest distances on this list.
- The skateboard performs better on smooth roads and has problems with bumpy or uneven ground.
- It has been found that the battery will not recharge fully if it is allowed to die completely.
Sale Anfan Electric Skateboard 7 Layer Maple Wood Deck PU Wheels Motorized Electric Longboard with Wireless Handheld Remote Control for Adults & Kids (US Stock) (Type 1)
- [DURABLE PU 70 x 51mm WHEELS]: It is made of high quality, durable polyurethane wheels, and solid grip tape for a more comfortable and secure ride.
- [24V LI-ON FE BATTERY]:Allows the boosted board to go up to 9 mph and up to 6 miles on a single charge
- [REMOTE CONTROLLER]: Hand-held remote controller in 4ft distance allows you control your skateboard freely and timely
- [ADVANTAGES]: both your feet stay firmly planted on the deck as you squeeze the trigger-style grip to gradually accelerate; The hand-held remote controller allows for true continuous acceleration and gradual, controlled braking.
- [GUARANTEE]: Buy this item with confidence. If there any issue with it, don't hesitate to contact us, and we will response and solve it within 24 hours. Your satisfaction is our top priority.
The Anfan Electric Skateboard is a sturdy longboard built for comfort and reliability. It includes a board made of maple wood, a 24-volt lithium-ion battery, a wireless handheld remote, and a charger. It can reach speeds of up to nine miles per hour. The remote can control speed and braking from four feet away. The battery can achieve a range of six miles on a single charge. The board can support up to 264 pounds and weighs seven pounds.
The Anfan Electric Skateboard’s deck is made of 7-ply maple wood and includes design features that increase control, such as a kicktail shape and concave. The wheels are made of durable polyurethane. A powerful yet quiet 200-watt belt drive motor powers the skateboard.
The wireless handheld remote controls the skateboard from up to four feet away. It features a trigger-style grip and allows continual, gradual acceleration and braking. This eliminates jerky movements, reductions in speed, and injuries from sudden stops.
The battery provides a range of six miles and recharges in two hours.
The board can comfortably accommodate individuals up to 264 pounds, so virtually anyone can ride in comfort and security. It is also very lightweight at seven pounds.
Clearly, this is a diverse group of electric skateboards, intended to suit a diverse variety of users.
Those looking for durability might want to consider the Swagboard, Anfan Electric Skateboard, or Acton Blink Lite.
Those looking for a long-lasting skateboard might want to consider the Swagboard or Yuneec E-GO2, which feature farther distances on a single charge.
Fast skateboards can be found with the Swagboard, Blitzart Mini Flash, or Yuneec E-GO2.
The Swagboard covers a lot of ground in multiple categories, but others could provide more heavy-duty options.
Last update on 2019-09-19 at 11:15 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API