Mobility scooters are an absolute necessity for some people depending on their health and circumstances. While they may resemble Segways or electric scooters, they are actually in the same category as canes or crutches. They are devices meant for supplementing medical or health conditions. Because mobility scooters are in this category, you can use your Medicare to get one.
Medicare and insurance companies can and will help cover your expenses for acquiring a mobility scooter. As long as you can prove that it is a medical necessity rather than a convenience, then you will receive your mobility scooter with most of the cost covered.
Many people in need of a mobility scooter are still not aware that acquiring one can be entirely provided by their insurance company and their medical physicians – well, almost entirely. You are going to have to do some of the work yourself but it isn’t much. If you’re ready to receive the mobility scooter you need in order to offset your condition then read on.
In order to figure out if you can receive an insurance-covered mobility scooter, your first step should be to meet with your physician. Ask him or her about mobility scooters in relation to your specific condition.
If lacking a mobility scooter causes you enough pain and stress when moving around then your doctor will write you a prescription for one. This prescription is proof that you need in order to receive a mobility scooter. This is what will tell insurance and/or medicare providers that a mobility scooter is a medical necessity for you.
By Medicare standards, the written order by your doctor that states you have a medical need for a scooter needs to meet all of the following conditions:
If all of these criteria can be met then your medical insurance will help significantly to cover your bills for a mobility scooter. If you are a part of Medicare Part B then you will only have to front 20% of the cost after you have paid your deductible for that year. The remaining 80% will be covered entirely by Medicare.
It isn’t free but it is still a huge help with covering the costs. This ultimately makes the entire process of seeing your doctor for written proof absolutely worth it. That way, you will only end up spending a couple of hundred dollars instead of a couple of thousand dollars.
As mentioned previously, you will have to keep in mind the area of your residence when going with a Medicare plan for mobility scooters. Depending on your region, you may have to find a specific DME (Durable Medical Equipment) provider that is enrolled in Medicare as well. These are the only kinds of suppliers that your medical insurance will work with in order to pay 80% of your costs. Non-Medicare DME suppliers do not apply under any circumstances.
Because Medicare pays the majority of the price, you will probably only end up paying a couple of hundred dollars out of pocket for your insurance-covered mobility scooter. If you are surprised because you were expecting 100% of the cost to be covered, don’t despair. There are still options available to you even if you have to pay a fraction of the cost.
First of all, mobility scooters not only range in terms of different types but they also range in different prices. Some mobility scooters cost around $2000 but others cost less than half this much. If you end up getting a mobility scooter that costs $800 then you’ll only have to pay $160 out of pocket.
You must also keep in mind that if you don’t need the mobility scooter on a long-term basis then you can always opt to rent one instead of purchasing it. This is a great way to lower costs and may actually be a perfect fit for you depending on the specifics of your medical situation. You should consider speaking with both your DME supplier as well as your doctor about this option and see if it is the best option for you, both financially and medically.
Mobility scooters come in a surprisingly wide range of models so feel free to speak with your DME provider about figuring out what the best fit is for your mobility needs and check out our mobility scooter section.
It may seem like you have to jump through some hoops but we assure you that acquiring the medical prescription for a Medicare-covered mobility scooter is absolutely worth it. Only having to pay one-fifth of the price is certainly nothing to scoff at and will undoubtedly be a huge help to you, as we’re sure you’ll agree.
We hope this article has helped you understand the process of acquiring medical and financial aid for getting a mobility scooter. Please use this information to get the support that you need, and take care.